editSuggest an edit

North Grove School Association

Arts and Entertainment / Non-Profit Organizations

26745 Brickville Rd, PO Box 244,
Sycamore, IL 60178

(000) 000-0000

Call
Call +10000000000
Directions
Get directions to this
location on Google Maps.
Website
Open website
in new tab.
Share this business
on social media.

About

North Grove School, 3 miles northwest of Sycamore, was built in 1878 by the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church as a parochial and Sunday school. Pupils of diverse ethnic backgrounds learned their lessons in Swedish, even several years after the DeKalb County public school system purchased the school in 1880. The Sycamore unit district acquired the school in 1949, and it continued as a school until 1952, when it was closed. The North Grove community continued to lovingly maintain the building and used it as a neighborhood social center for many years. Upon the closing of North Grove School in 1952, all furnishings were removed. However many furnishings from old Sycamore schools were still in storage in the 1960s when the Natural Resource Center in Genoa began using the site for special education programs. The school was refurbished and re-supplied using these furnishings, with additional period pieces being donated by private citizens. In 1970 North Grove School at 26745 Brickville Road (Map) was listed in the Illinois Directory of Historical Buildings. Today the school is still owned by the Sycamore School District but is leased to and lovingly cared for by the North Grove School Association, whose goal is to preserve this educational icon for future generations.

Ads

codeEmbed

Ads Widget

close

Widget URL

Embed Code

Embed these ads anywhere HTML code is accepted by pasting the snippet below.